Saturday, August 30, 2008

First post!

My name is Sam DelSerra. I'm from Scranton, PA and I'm a first year at Mac. I plan to major in biology with an emphasis on biochemistry. Applied Calculus is my first math course at Mac, but in high school i took Geometry, Algebra II/Trig, Pre-Calc, and AP Calculus AB. The weakest part of my math background is probably geometry (too many thereoms!) and certain areas of calculus that I can't really remember because I tend to forget things I don't like/don't understand easily. My strongest math skills are deriving and integrating and I'm also pretty good at linear functions. I decided to take Applied Calculus because I need a math course for the Bio major and I felt that I would be able to remember how to do most of the problems since I just finished AP Calc in June. Also, I wanted to see how calculus actually works in the real world outside of the classroom. I hope to be able to actually use what I learn in the course in real life rather than just forgetting everything once I take the final.

My interests include singing, dancing, sleeping, eating, and science. I love almost all types of music, but my favorites include John Mayer, Jack Johnson, and rap (mostly Pitbull and Lil' Wayne). I also enjoy hanging out with friends and family and aimlessly driving around in my car (not so much now since gas is ridiculous!).

The worst math teacher I've ever had was my Geometry teacher in freshman year. She moved too fast and didn't make sure everyone in the class understood the material. She usually just asked the kids who had a knack for math and ignore the rest of us. Also, if you answered a question wrong, she would scold and embarrass you. I'll admit it - I cried a few times in class. The best math teacher I've ever had was my Pre-Calc and Calc teacher. She was strict, but she always made sure everyone understood everything. She made herself super available to get help from, and since she had me for two years in a row, she could tell when I was lost in class and would make sure to re-explain the problem. Also, she had a lot of faith in me and would call me out when I would psyche myself out on a problem (which I often tend to do). That faith really helped me become more comfortable with math in general.

I would love to hear Jack Johnson played before class because his music wakes me up! I recommend Waiting for Summer or Sitting, Waiting, Wishing!

SECTION 1.2

Main Points: This section explains what slope is, and it focuses on linear equations. Slope is the rate of change vertically divided by the rate of change horizontally, or in simpler terms, rise over run. Also, this section gives the standard point-slope form for linear equations as well as the standard form for a linear equation. Point slope is y -y1 = m(x - x1) and standard form for a linear equation is y= mx +b, where m is the slope and b is the y intercept.

Challenges: I was challenged at finding some of the patterns for an equation from the tables. After working on them for a bit, I did eventually come to the correct answer. Also, some of the word problems were oddly worded and confused me at first. I had to read and reread them in order to figure out what the question was actually asking.

Reflection: I've done this type of problem many times throughout my highschool career, and I actually enjoy linear equations. I think this is one of the easier areas of Calculus and it's nice to be able to review what I learned in highschool.

SECTIONS 1.5 and 1.7

Main Points: In Section 1.5, the book discusses exponential functions and growth. Exponential functions help show phenomena, such as population growth, in natural and social sciences. These functions can increase and decrease and the standard form is P=Poa^t. If a > 1, the function is growing, but if a<1, e =" 2." p=" Poe^(kt)" interest =" P="Po" interest =" P="Poe^(rt).">

Challenges: In 1.5, I found problem number 21 difficult. I can't understand why the final answer is P=670(1.096)^(t/1000). When I did the problem, I got P=670(1.096)^t. Also, I had trouble with number 27. In 1.7, I had difficulty with problem number 29. I wasn't sure how to go about the problem because I was confused as to what it was asking.

Reflection: Towards the end of my senior year, we focused a lot on exponential functions. My teacher used slightly different equations, so it took me a little bit to get used to the P's and Po. (She taught us y=Ce^kt) I really like doing these problems because I think its pretty cool how you can figure out how much money you will make in an account or how many people will be living in a city in 200 years. I like when math actually applies to the real world!!

No comments: