Monday, October 6, 2008

LA Sections 1.0-1.2; 4.2.0

Main Points: In the LA sections 1.0 through 1.2, the idea of matrices is introduced. Points are thought of as vectors and can be be written horizontally in (x,y) form or horizontally, in matrix form. Two types of actions are introduced: scalar multiplication and vector addition. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying each term by the constant outside of the parantheses. This does not change direction of vector, but rather makes it longer or shorter. Vector addition, also known as coordinate-wise addition, involves adding the top terms together and the bottom terms together, creating new coordinates and a new vector. In section 4.2.0, dot products are discussed. Also called scalar products, this operation produces a real number by multiplying corresponding coordinates of vectors and adding the products together to reach a new, single number. Furthermore, the dot product of two vectors is zero if the vectors are perpendicular, such as (2, -3) and (3, 2).

Challenges: I was not confused by this reading because I am somewhat familiar with matrices. However, someone may be confused with dot multiplication if one does not add the products together.

Reflections: Although I have done matrices before and understand the operations, I am still not sure why they are important. However, they are pretty easy to understand and I enjoy doing them!

No comments: